Opaque Oasis

Opaque Oasis

Aug 15, 2012

An E-Mail In Exchange For Misery?


An E-Mail In Exchange For Misery?

A Play Written by Glenn McCrary




Characters

Tucker: Guy who walks into café

London: Lady who Tucker is secretly attracted to

Barista: Takes Tucker’s order

Act I Scene I



Tucker enters  a local café. He reaches the front register and is immediately greeted by the barista. The barista then takes Tucker’s order.



Tucker: Hello, Stuart

Stuart: Hello, Tucker. How are you?

Tucker: Quite alright just about to attend a party. However I thought I would drop in and say hello and possibly replenish my ever decreasing energy.

Stuart: That is completely understandable.


Tucker nods his head in agreement with Stuart.


Tucker: Though enough about me now Stuart. How have you been fairing lately?

Stuart: Eh, no different than the usual sort. Apart from that I have just been working here.

Tucker: That is quite wonderful Stuart. I know you never fail to impress your superiors on a daily basis. Keep at it young sir.

Stuart: Yeah. Anyway what can I get for you Tucker?

Tucker: Oh, just a cup of water with a spot of classic syrup.

Stuart: Comin’ right up!

Stuart then goes to fetch Tucker’s water while taking more orders for customers. Two minutes later he returns with Tucker’s water.


Stuart: There you go Tucker. Have a great day man!

Tucker then exits the café. As he is leaving he spots an attractive young lady exiting the restroom. She is wearing a white tank top with khaki booty shorts. She had strawberry blonde hair with fair skin and light brown freckles along with soft, vanilla pink lips. His eyes rested upon her for a brief moment before he left.
[End Scene]


Act I Scene II


It is the next day. Tucker enters the local café and orders himself a water. He then goes to sit upon the couch to concentrate on his passion for the written word. Suddenly a young lady sits right next to him. She opens her laptop screen to continue her search for the perfect college. To Tucker’s surprise it was the very same girl that he saw yesterday. Shocked by her unannounced re-appearance he introduces himself and decides to strike up a conversation.



Tucker: Hello, My name is Tucker

Tucker extends his hand towards this lady in hope of a potential fellowship.

Returning the favor the lady decides to introduce herself as well.

London: Oh, hey my name is London. Pleased to meet you.

London briefly smiles at Tucker and then immediately returns her attention back to her laptop screen entirely.

Tucker: So me and a friend just finished seeing the latest Ice Age film.

London: Oh yeah? I heard it was good.

Tucker: And you heard right.

Tucker and London both chuckle and smile as awkward silence begins to dawn upon them.

Tucker: Speaking of films what type of films do you like? Do you have a genre of films that you prefer watching?

London: I don’t have a favorite film as I am largely diverse so I like all films ranging from tragedies to comedies. I never identify myself with only one thing.

Tucker: And that is good. I highly respect the fact that you are not limiting yourself. I admire the fact that you are willing to explore before being eclipsed by the ultimate satisfaction. Of course we as humans will never be satisfied for as long as time continues.

London: Not necessarily but I do truly believe that we as humans will eventually find what it is that will satisfy us. We just have to keep looking. Though yes I do believe that our pathetic attempts to search for what we think will satisfy us is the overall reason why we will never be satisfied.


Tucker: Well said London.

Tucker smiles stupidly to himself, opens his mouth, closes it again and then ponders on his next thought to be spoken in conversation.

Tucker: Now if you don’t mind me asking, what are your hobbies? What is your passion in life?

London: Well I have always had a passion for that of the art of theater. I’ve done a lot of Community Theater while in my teens. I also enjoy watching multiple plays. I have even acted in a few of them myself. I also am into architecture being that my parents are both architects.

Tucker: That’s quite impressive. How long has it been since you last acted in a play?

London: Gosh it has been a while. I believe the last play that I was in was back in 2009. It was a play based on The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe

Tucker: And what are some of the names of the plays that you have acted in regarding community theater as well as school plays?

London: Oh gosh I can’t even remember the names of them all but the body of work that I have done for theater is quite lengthy.

Tucker: Excellent! I find that astounding!

London: Yeah! Anyway what is your passion in life Tucker?

Tucker: Well I love to write a lot of poetry. I have self-published four books of poetry. I am currently in school studying Creative Writing & English with a specialization in Poetry. I am also starting to branch out in my field by writing plays. I am so passionate about my poetry that I have made a vow to write until death.

London: Now that’s what I call passion! I have never met a man so passionate!

Tucker and London become smitten with laughter over London’s statement.

Tucker: Well what can I say?

London: Say nothing. Let your words do all the talking. After all they are telling your story so why should you have to talk?

London then winks at Tucker in an enticing manner.


Tucker: London if you don’t mind I’d like to ask you something concerning your passion for the theater. Have you ever considered teaching theater or building film sets?


London: Yes I have considered that. I don’t know so much if I’d want to teach though but I do know a lot of friends of mine that have decided to go that route. What I’d want to do is get a career teaching theater, acting, and building sets and possibly a little marketing.

Tucker: I think that is a brilliant idea because from what I can tell, you are very intelligent and possess the drive and motivation that it takes to get to where you want to go. The reason that I suggested for you to do that is because I figured why do one thing that relates to your passion when you can do all?

London: You make a very good point, Tucker. I’ll keep that in mind.

Tucker: Good. I’m very glad to hear that. Anyways if you’ll excuse me I have a party to attend to but I shall see you when next we meet hopefully. When will I see you again?

London: Oh, you’ll see me. I’m always here so just keep your eyes peeled.

Tucker: Until next time London.


With not a word left to say, Tucker then gets up and exits the café.


[End Scene]


Act I Scene III


It is a new day. Tucker enters the café searching for London. London is nowhere within sight. Twenty minutes pass before London shows up. She is wearing a red blouse with khaki booty shorts again. This time she is with a guy.


London exits the café and stares in Tucker’s direction as she is passing through with her guy friend.


Tucker: Hey London.

London: Oh, hey Tucker how are you?

Tucker: I’m quite alright. I just decided to stop through here and relax for a couple of hours.

London: Oh, good deal.

Tucker: Yeah, is that your boyfriend?

London: I don’t know maybe…

Tucker: Oh, well you know I just thought that he might have been?


London ignores Tucker’s comments and carries on with her date. She and her guy friend choose to sit by a coffee table just behind one of the walls of the café. After about 40 minutes, Tucker decides to walk over to London and speak with her.


Tucker: London! Hey London!

London: Yes! What’s up Tucker?

Tucker: I was wondering if there was anyway that you would like to stay in contact?

London: Sure.

Tucker: Is it okay if I give you my number?

London: Yes. That’s fine.

Tucker then gives London his number.


London: Thank you very much Tucker. I’ll be sure to give you a call.

Tucker: You’re welcome and I look forward to it.


As the sun sets, Tucker exits the café.


[End Scene]


Act I Scene IV



Another day arrives. It is early evening. Tucker enters the café to find London sitting directly in front of him. She is on the phone with her friend while preoccupied by her laptop. Tucker goes to order her a water. He then decides to sit by London.


London: Hello, Tucker.

Tucker: Hello, London. I see you are on the phone with someone.

London: Yeah it is just a friend of mine. Her name is Nina.

Tucker: Oh, well that’s cool.

London: Yeah just give me a second.

Tucker: Ok.


London finishes up her conversation and then turns her attention to Tucker.


London: Ok, sorry. That was my friend. I hadn’t talked to her in a long time. I was so happy to finally be able to talk to her again. You have no idea how long it has been.

Tucker: Understandable. Is she a childhood friend?

London: No, but I have known her for quite a while.

Tucker: Very interesting!

London: By the way Tucker I wanted to show you something.


London begins typing a mysterious web address into her web address bar. She shows Tucker the website she is transferring to.


London: I remember you mentioning to me that you would like to see what plays I have been in when last we spoke. Here’s one that I was in. It was our version of The Chronicles of Narnia. This was way back in December of 2009. These are the pictures of me in the play.
Tucker: These photos are lovely and just the fact that you were in the play is excellent! You look like you had a lot of fun participating in the play.


London: I did have loads of fun. You should have been there. You would have loved it.


Tucker: This makes me wish that we could have met each other sooner.

London: I know right!


An awkward silence prevails.


Tucker: So…. about that number?

London: Oh, right! Here I’ll just give you my email address and you can just ask me for the number through there.


Tucker: That is perfectly fine.


London: Alright good. Well I’ve got to run now. My mom is coming to pick me up and she’s sort of in a hurry so I shall talk to you later. Please e-mail me sometime.


Tucker: I will.


London exits the café without another word.



[End Scene]


Act I Scene V


Tucker emails London approximately forty-eight hours later. Two weeks pass by before Tucker receives a response from London. One day Tucker wakes to a voicemail from London. Anxious to hear London’s response he plays the voicemail.


London’s voicemail: Hi! So, the computer I'd been using stopped working, and I haven't had internet access for about 2 weeks now. But, I do at the moment, so I'll check out the poem, and talk to you later.


Tucker smiles stupidly as he is equipped with a new degree of hope.



[End Scene]

No comments:

Post a Comment